Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Poppies

Something I'm still getting use to about Canadians is that in November they all start wearing poppies in honor of Remembrance Day that's November 11. That's why the American girl (me) thought a boy in our Sunday School class said he "got a puppy" and began asking about it. Thankfully, David (the Canadian) could whisper to me "He said he got a poppy not a puppy"! As I then noticed the 5 year old with a red flower straight pinned to his shirt.

I've discovered it's actually quite a neat thing as the poppy is in remembrance of those that have died in war. Everywhere you go, everyone has the red flowers pinned to their coat or shirt, or a box sitting on the counter of a store to sell them.





I tried pasting in the poem about Flander's Field that inspired all this, but it's not working for me. It's proudly placed on the back of the $10 bill. It was written by a Canadian Doctor in the Canadian Medical Army Corps in Belguim in 1915.




1 comment:

  1. We have a group here in Nebraska that sells those little poppies to businesses.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.