It feels like David has been working on trim for forever and as I looked back at pictures I realized it's getting close to that, well at least several months of forever. My ambitious husband took up the challenge of making his own trim for the windows and doors since his parents gave him a bunch of good wood they didn't want when they moved.
The process began by hauling all the wood here, then hauling all the right tools, sometime around Christmas it seems.
Then he constructed a plastic shelter (aka "the greenhouse" even though it has no connection to growing things, it's just the closest thing that it reminds me of). The shelter was necessary in the winter, as he needed a place to paint the trim and let it dry outside of the house.
Next he sent the wood through the planer, then routered the edges to be all nice and curved, then sanded it all and finally did a primer coat and first coat of paint. I only know this process because he's had to tell me it about 30 times so I could remember and I know the distinction of "really loud noise", "extremely loud noise" and "rather loud noise". I'm not even sure which one is which! The painting is a bit quieter...except for the compressor.
We're finally reaching the home stretch for the doors and windows, so I'll put some of the beginning pictures on. David's done most of the work by himself but I only seem to remember to take out the camera when someone else came. He's now working on the last 1/4 of trim! He's super excited that we're getting a company to cut the baseboard. It'll take them less than a day and then
all he has to do is paint it and put it on.
Oh yeah, the last part is the only part that I can actually help with...putting putty stuff in all the nail holes, sanding them and doing a final coat of paint. No wonder so many people never get trim done in their houses!
 |
| March- David's Dad came to help for a day |
 |
| Window frame |
 |
| Notice the difference?!! |
 |
| April - the first piece header to go on! |
 |
| Daniel came to help for a day |
 |
| That just looks like somebody's fingers are going to hurt! |
 |
| The guys collapsed after a hard day's work |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.