Monday, May 2, 2011

Election Day

May 2, 2011 was declared federal election day in Canada 5 weeks ago. Being an American it still boggles my mind that an election can suddenly be called and then held 5 weeks later. It has definitely been the dominant news on the radio (except for the day of the Royal Wedding).

It seems strange to live in a country that I can't vote in the election. I was sent a voter registration card (twice even)...but alas, I can not honestly check the box saying I'm a Canadian Citizen. What's sad is that I'm told there is typically a very low voter rate when it comes to an election. Especially, when the election seems to only be called because Parliament was made up of a minority government and nobody can agree. The predictions for this election have swung quite considerably over the last few weeks to the point that they don't seem quite sure what's going to happen today. 

Another strange thing I find is that a person only votes for one party, rather than voting for individual people. When I first moved here I wondered how in the world a country could function that way with so little choice...yet it seems to work...imagine! Previously Stephen Harper was elected Prime Minister (Conservative and reported to attend an Alliance Church) working with a minority government. Ok, I just realized I wrote that as an American. All you Canadians can correct me but what I understand is that actually, Stephen Harper was not "elected" Prime Minister, the Conservative party won enough votes that their party leader would be Prime Minister, but still not enough to have a majority.

Adding to the list of things an American in Canada finds strange  is that there are supposedly five "main" parties: Conservative, Liberal, and NDP (new democrat party), the Bloc Quebecois and the Green Party (leader not shown in the picture). The first three seem to be the main ones in the running this time. How do you have three main parties rather than two? People don't seem to have a lot of party loyalty but can actually be swayed to vote for other parties.

"Lord, I thank you that you know the rise and fall of governments. We are reminded so clearly that our hope can not come from a political party but only comes from You. I pray that you will be gracious to Canada and allow people that will make wise decisions to be put into office and that there can be agreement. In Jesus Name, Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.