Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Snow Tunnel

 This past Sunday was our first "quiet Sunday afternoon at home after church" to spend together in 2 months so we wanted to do something together outside. The only problem was that I have cross-country skis and David doesn't...the snow shoes decided they wanted to retire after 40 some years of being on this earth... yet the snow was 3 feet deep. We walked in our snow boots down our road to a trail but discovered there was 3-4 feet of snow instead of a trail. As we walked back into our driveway somewhat disheartened at our lack of options, we both had the same idea. "How long has it been since you made a snow fort?!"

David then chose the biggest snow pile we have (thanks to our kind neighbor that plows part of our driveway once in a while...since the snowblower doesn't make good snow piles.) As I dug away at my little side with a shovel I realized what strength and perseverance David has! I started to think a snow cave would be just as good as a tunnel. =] I was also struck by the fact that I was living a kid's dream, digging a tunnel with someone that actually has the strength, knowledge, tools and perseverance to DIG the tunnel. My sister and I always wanted to make tunnels but I don't think we ever made it all the way through with our little kid hands in soggy, cold mittens.

A few days later as I was driving some kids home that we'd had over at our house and they noticed our tunnel. "Who made the tunnel?" they wanted to know. "David and I did", I replied. "Why?!" they wondered. "Just because we wanted to," I answered. They didn't seem to know what to think of that...two adults making a snow fort...just because.

Our tunnel that's at least 10 feet long
David climbing through

It's big enough for both of us!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.